Some children are eligible for ‘free school meals’. If your child is eligible but not yet registered, there are two important reasons that you should do this:
- Your child will be entitled to any two items of food from Cucina at lunchtime. Healthy school food has obvious benefits for a child’s health and readiness to learn. Currently, families eligible for free school meals can also receive food vouchers from Kingston council (£3 per weekday) to support over school holidays.
- TKA will receive £985 in extra funding called ‘pupil premium’. We use this extra money to improve educational outcomes for pupils that receive free school meals. Examples of how we have previously used pupil premium funding include educational provision/resources, academic interventions, wellbeing and self-esteem building interventions such as mentoring, part-funding of trips and breakfast clubs.
If your child is eligible for free school meals but you want your child to have packed lunches you should still register because the school will receive the pupil premium funding which can support your child in other ways.
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
Your child is eligible if you access one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of state Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on
You may also be eligible if you are a family with no recourse to public funds (NRPF) due to your immigration status. Please see this separate application form for NRPF families, which includes eligibility criteria. You can also request a printed copy from us.
How do I apply for free school meals?
Please follow the link below to apply. Your application will be processed by Kingston Council. They will let you and us know if your application is successful.
Free School Meals Application