Acceptable Use of ICT by Pupils
If you are looking for advice on how to keep your child safe online, or you wish to report an inappropriate online incident involving your child, you may access the National Crime Agency’s CEOP website through the link below:
Pupils should ensure that their conduct in the use of ICT conforms to the following code:
I understand that I must use TKA’s ICT systems in a responsible way, to ensure that there is no risk to my safety or to the safety and security of the ICT systems and other users.
For my own personal safety:
- I understand that the school will monitor my use of the ICT systems, email and other digital communications.
- I will treat my username and password like my toothbrush – I will not share it, nor will I try to use any other person’s username and password.
- I will be aware of “stranger danger”, when I am communicating on-line.
- I will not disclose or share personal information about myself or others when on-line.
- I will not arrange to meet people off-line that I have communicated with on-line.
- I will immediately report any unpleasant or inappropriate material or messages or anything that makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it on-line.
I understand that everyone has equal rights to use technology as a resource and:
- I understand that TKA’s ICT systems are primarily intended for educational use and that I will not use the systems for personal or recreational use unless I have permission to do so.
- I will not try (unless I have permission) to make large downloads or uploads that might take up internet capacity and prevent other users from being able to carry out their work.
- I will not use the school ICT systems for on-line gaming, on-line gambling, internet shopping, file sharing, or video broadcasting (e.g. YouTube), unless I have permission of a member of staff to do so.
I will act as I expect others to act toward me:
- I will respect others’ work and property and will not access, copy, remove or otherwise alter any other user’s files, without the owner’s knowledge and permission.
- I will be polite and responsible when I communicate with others, I will not use strong, aggressive or inappropriate language and I appreciate that others may have different opinions.
- I will not take or distribute images of anyone without their permission.
- I recognise that TKA School has a responsibility to maintain the security and integrity of the technology it offers me and to ensure the smooth running of the school:
- I will only use my personal hand held / external devices (mobile phones / USB devices etc) in school if I have permission. I understand that, if I do use my own devices in school, I will follow the rules set out in this agreement, in the same way as if I was using school equipment.
- I understand the risks and will not try to upload, download or access any materials which are illegal or inappropriate or may cause harm or distress to others, nor will I try to use any programmes or software that might allow me to bypass the filtering / security systems in place to prevent access to such materials
- I will immediately report any damage or faults involving equipment or software, however this may have happened.
- I will not open any attachments to emails, unless I know and trust the person / organisation who sent the email, due to the risk of the attachment containing viruses or other harmful programmes.
- I will not install or attempt to install programmes of any type on a machine, or store programmes on a computer, nor will I try to alter computer settings.
- I will only use chat and social networking sites with permission and at the times that are allowed.
When using the internet for research or recreation, I recognise that:
- I should ensure that I have permission to use the original work of others in my own work
- Where work is protected by copyright, I will not try to download copies (including music and videos)
- When I am using the internet to find information, I should take care to check that the information that I access is accurate, as I understand that the work of others may not be truthful and may be a deliberate attempt to mislead me.
I understand that I am responsible for my actions, both in and out of school:
- I understand that TKA also has the right to take action against me if I am involved in incidents of inappropriate behaviour, that are covered in this agreement, when I am out of school and where they involve my membership of the school community (examples would be cyber-bullying, use of images or personal information).
- I understand that if I fail to comply with this Acceptable Use Policy Agreement, I will be subject to disciplinary action. This may include loss of access to the school network / internet, detentions, suspensions, contact with parents and in the event of illegal activities involvement of the police.