ob title: Part-time Catering Assistant
Responsible to: Facilities Manager
Main area of responsibility: To set up tables and chairs for lunch; to serve and clear lunch; to wash up the dishes using a professional dishwasher; to supervise children during the lunch break
Hours of work: 12.00 until 2.30 from Monday to Friday (12.5 hours per week)
Location: The Kingston Academy, Richmond Road, Kingston Upon Thames KT2 5PE
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Scale: Grade B, Spinal 3 – 5. Actual salary £4,875 – £5,022 (FTE £18,189 – £18, 740).
Term time only: 37 weeks per year.
Applications should be submitted by as soon as possible. Please complete the application form and monitoring form and email them to email@example.com. Alternatively you could post applications to Lesley Thomas at The Kingston Academy, Richmond Road, Kingston Upon Thames KT2 5PE.
- Knowledge: Relevant NVQ3 qualification or similar
- Understanding of health and safety regulations
- Current first aid certificate would be useful (training can be arranged)
- Food handling certificate (training can be arranged)
- Prior experience of serving food in a school setting (would be useful)
- Commitment and enthusiasm
- Sense of initiative / willingness t
- Sense of humour
- Tolerance and patience
- Enjoy working with children
Job Specification / Duties
The job of the catering assistant is an important one, providing care for the children in school during their lunch and break. It is a role that calls for sensitivity, patience, a good sense of humour and above all, a genuine ability to relate to children.
The following specifications provide a more detailed job description.
Catering assistants should:
- Be available to work the hours specified and agreed with the School Business Manager
- Wear each day the TKA catering uniform provided and follow the required protocols relating to cleanliness and hair maintenance
- Set up the lunch area, which includes the setting up of catering equipment stored in an adjoining room
- Serve the food to TKA pupils and staff
- Transport the dishes to the Fern Hill kitchens
- Use professional dishwasher to wash up plates, cutlery and food serving dishes
- Lift and unfold tables and chairs which are stored in an adjoining rooms. After lunch the tables need to be refolded and stored away again
- Be aware of the school’s policies on behaviour, discipline, equal opportunities, anti-racism and Keeping Children Safe in Education and act in accordance with these policies in a fair and consistent manner, including the use of merits to promote and reward good behaviour
- Expect o be treated in a respectful manner by the children and in turn, show respect to the children
- Report back to the School Business Manager any concerns about the behaviour of individual children that may necessitate further investigation
- Refer accidents that cause concern to the first aider / teacher on duty
- As a member of staff at The Kingston Academy you will be expected to respect the confidentiality of school life. Be aware that events that occur in lunchtimes are not to be discussed outside of the staff team.
- Be able to feel free to discuss and problems or concerns you have regarding the job with the school business manager
- Attend any meetings held as these sessions are vital for sharing views and suggestions in order to help the lunchtime session to run as smoothly as possible.
Catering Assistant Job Pack
You can read more about the role in the job pack attached below: